Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Oh Lordy! The turtle dun' bit my baby!

What's with the title? Yes, feel free to look at it. Well I have the word, 'Lordy' in my writing and it's 3 in the morning so connections being made by a morning drunk brain? Couldn't tell you. Did that make sense? If not then please, except my humblest apologies. I'm tired and sore from working out. Gosh I sound so whiney right now. I do know that I have the power to just delete all this don't I? But will I? Noooooo.

Anyhow I'm not even going to try to be clever I'm just going to give you what I wrote today. Please remember that what I'm writing is just the first draft blah, blah, blah. You know all that. Treat it as you would a first draft written at 3 in the morning to meet a deadline. Man I love you guys! I had a deadline that I met. Sure it had no limit to it but still I sat down and completed it. Maybe this'll actually work. Thanks to all you guys who are reading. You're paying for a call I'm sending collect. Well it made sense to me!

(697 words)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun was dropping low in the sky as I ran Chester, our harvesting machine, across the fields. I could feel the heat pour of the sad bucket of bolts as he rattled and shook across the crops, spitting the legumes into a twenty foot steel wheelbarrow that he had latched onto his backend. The poor thing was hopelessly outdated but until Chester had chugged his last gallon of gas and died on the fields he had been plowing the past thirty plus years, pops wouldn’t get another machine. The man used duct-tape to fix our cars! The word Froogle didn’t even come close to describing my father.
Chester groaned as I swung him around for another lap. I patted the steering wheel as we came about. “It’s alright big boy. Just hold in there. A few more rows to go and then you get to rest it all off.” Another groan, but he kept shuddering on.
That’s when I looked up and saw the car parked in front of the house.
Now you need to know the significance of this. Out on my farm the only time you’ll ever see a strange car parked in front of the house is if it has flashing lights and pops is having a heart attack. But this wasn’t an ambulance, no sir. This baby was midnight black. The kind of black that didn’t reflect light but just seemed to suck it into the metal and never let go. The windows were tinted into shadows and from what I could see, the car didn’t have any license plates or brand symbols stapled to it. I had a feeling this thing was designed to disappear into the darkness at a moments notice.
“Oh curses.” I grunted as Chester reached the end of the row and began to catch dirt. I spun the wheel, pumping the break as I did it. Chester groaned to a halt. I looked back at the unfinished rows of un-harvested crops and shrugged. Special occasion.
I jumped down from Chester and sprinted to the house, eager to see what was going on. Maybe we’d struck it rich on an oil line or something. Or maybe they’d come to draft my sisters into the hospital or something...they do that don’t they? Hey! I was willing to let a few go for the sake of my country. The least I could do!
But as I reached the porch the front door swung open and two men in black suits walked out. I stopped dead in my tracks, not sure of what to do. For a moment they paused, looking at me. Everything about these men was so crisp and neat it made chills run down my spine. You never saw that around here unless someone had died. Perfect hair, clothes, shoes, eyes. I wanted to turn away, to hide my dirty hands and comb my hair straight so they wouldn’t think badly of me but then almost as soon as they had noticed me they looked back into the house, tipped hats they didn’t have and walked to the car and drove away.
I watched as they disappeared across our property line then was startled as I felt my pops hand on my shoulder and his stern voice say, “You didn’t finish with Chester.”
I looked up at him and gulped. His face was strained and his jaw tight. Not good. Last time I’d seen that face we’d nearly lost the farm.
“Who were-“ I began.
“Chester. Get it done. Now.” He said sternly as his eyes scanned the horizon.
I sighed and turned back towards the field, mumbling under my breath. I’d learned early on that unless you wanted your backside tanned with a leather belt, when pops gave an order it was best to listen and not give any lip. Didn’t mean I had to like it.
I climbed back into Chester’s worn leather seat and started him up with a kick that I instantly felt bad for. “Sorry.” I muttered.
Groan.
I pushed him into first gear and started him down the field again. Lordy how I wish that car had never come to my house. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just writing for the sake of writing. Again, sorry if it's not clever or well written but I'm trying to learn to write and just move on. I think that's one of the reasons I haven't been able to finish many stories. So here's to not touching a first draft! Remember to spend a few seconds to rate. It really means a lot to me. Thanks!

Daily Reading: Hebrew 12 - Not much to say on this one. Sorry. But one thing that was really cool is that I was reading this book called, "The Measure of A Man" and it has a section about loving others and being understanding and that, 'the smallest package you'll ever see is a man wrapped up in himself' (selfish person). Anyhow I got back from the gym and was about to vomit and my dad wanted me to do something for him and I started to say no and he got mad and left. So after I became vomit free I went to talk to him and again, we started to get mad at each other but then a quick prayer later and remembering a few passages from that book I handled it really well and defused the situation like the hurt-locker. Very proud of myself. (I have problems with smashing people in an argument when I get mad (well I'd like to think I smash them haha)). 'You'll reap what you soe.' Both good and bad buddy boy (Lawyer: And girls. Like the ba-)

Ahem! Now for the, 'Random Fact of The Day!': The German word, 'krummerspeck' means, excess weight gained from emotional overeating. Literally, grief bacon. That...is...so...beautiful! *sniff sniff* I'm going to go krummerspeck! I love my mom's motherland language!

1 comment:

Tanjida Hossain said...

Forgot how reading your blog posts made my day!
Good stuff. ^.^