Tuesday, September 11, 2012

1644 (768)

Isn't that awesome? Just the amount of numbers in my last section mixed up a litte. Last one was 876. This one is 768. I sear, not planning these! Haha, well I hope you enjoy. Please remember that these are first drafts, no editing except for a spell check. When I start to edit I get caught up in that and all my creativity becomes an obsession over details, which is not what I need. So if any of these 768 words seem choppy and things are a little funky, I apologize. But please, enjoy!

Oh, remember that cool ability? I'll write it in the section after the story.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Like a confused mess of dogs, the would-be assailants tripped over the stall and stolen wares towards Aiden and as a result, rushed him in a staggered line. That was their second mistake.
Aiden clenched a fist and felt the earth begin to move around him.
Oh how I’ve missed you, my good friend. He grinned, a burst of silent laughter coming from his nose as he embraced the freedom. There would be no holding back today.
He stepped forward with his right foot, his leg powerful and rooted, and thrust his left arm in an uppercut and as his limb flew forward a jagged hunk of compact earth spun from the ground, hurtling towards the closest guard, who was still more than fifty feet away. He had just enough time for his eyes to grow wide in fear before the boulder smashed against his chest then spun up and exploded against his face, sending him to the floor in a clutching, screaming, bloody mass of shredded skin and crushed bone.
The other two guards balked, their glances darting between their writhing friend and this sudden threat, but before their senses caught up with them Aiden moved.
He brought his left foot up and forward, slamming it down against the earth. The ground split light a bolt of dry lightning, it’s dead fingers finding the guards and grabbing at their boots and legs, pulling them down into the shifting dirt.
“No! No! No! Please!” One of the men began to scream as he began to hack at the dirt with his sword. “Help me Eric! He-” His voice caught in his throat as he turned to look to his friend for help. But the ground had worked fast on him. A moment later all that was left was a sobbing, bloody, guard and a dirt stained blade beside two circles of agitated earth.
“You’re…you’re an adept?” Came the whisper from the last remaining guard. “But-”
“You thought all of us had been rounded up like the dogs to fight the kings little war?” Aiden raised a hand and loose stone at his feet jetted into his palm. It began to spin. “I thought I’d stay back. To keep an eye on people like you.” The stone began to spin faster. “People who pray on the helpless and weak when big brother’s not there to protect them.”
“I swear, just let me go and I’ll never-“ The guard began to whimper, dropping his weapons to the floor.
Aiden’s look froze him mid sentence. “See, that’ll work for about a day, until your belly gets hungry because you’ve never had to survive a day off your own labor. The night will begin to get cold and you’ll hear the wolves start their hunt. Then you’ll see that little farm, smell the cooking fires and just like that you’ve lied to me.”
The guard dropped to his knees and clasped his hands together, tears streaking his dirty face. “No! I swear! I swear!”
“Not taking that chance.”
Before the guard could open his groveling mouth again Aiden flexed his palm and the stone split into a hundred fragments and hissed away like a pit of angry vipers.
No scream, cry of pain or movement to avoid. It was to fast. The guard lay stretched against the dirt, a host of splintered rock embedded in every inch of his body, the thirsty earth around him greedily licking up the flowing crimson blood.
Aiden turned to Hawks who stood with a journal in one hand and a charcoal pencil in the other, his eyes darting between the bodies and his writings.
“Come on.” Aiden said as he picked up his bags of food and began to walk. “Let’s go.”
Hawks nodded furiously and, still jotting down in his journal, began to follow after Aiden, side stepping the cracks in the earth without taking his eyes from his book.
“Wait!”
Aiden and Hawks stopped, turning to see the speaker. It was the woman. Her face was bloody and dirty but a smile played on her lips. In her hands she clutched a cloth bag. “Please, take this.” She reached out bag to them.
There was an awkward silence. Hawks looked at Aiden, at the woman, back at Aiden then stuffed his pencil inside the book and with his free hand took the bag.
“Thank you.” He said. “My friend does what he can to help.”
With a confused expression on her face, though still smiling, she nodded. “Thank you again.”
With a slight nod in the woman’s general direction, Aiden turned and walked away.

_________________________________________________________________________________

That's the chapter. What did you think? Rate it. There's three down there, just pick the one that fits. It makes me feel all bubbly when you rate my writing. Even the worst rating is a sign I need to change something. Help me help myself so I can help your eyes read some better writing! Yes it makes sense!

Now here's my cool ability. I'll make it short and a whole bunch 'o sweet!

Never mind: I'll do it in my next post! Sister needs to get on. (Fact and reading I'll do in there too.)

Night!


No comments: